Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Bullnose Hitch Lock

Guest Guest

I have been using a hitch lock on Ollie which seems to work very well.  I would definitely recommend.  The one I purchased is,

The Bull #20011 for 2″ Trailer Balls – 11-Pin Puck Lock (ASSA)

The following link might be helpful,

https://gushill.com/products/the-bull-lock/

Buzzy

[attachment file=35288]

Interesting, I had never heard of 713 aluminum. It sounds pretty cool, and a good choice for an anti-theft device. Is it heavy?

http://www.abbottworkholding.com/713-tenzaloy

Thanks for posting.

John Davies

Spokane WA

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

Guest Guest

John,

The circular outer casing is not very heavy.  The interior piece, which includes the ball is somewhat heavy.  Interestingly, the lock is provided with two key.  In my case I needed two additional keys.  The ASSA lock is "high security" and my local lock smith could not make copies.  In fact the organization selling the lock could not make copies. Only the ASSA manufacturer is able to copy the key.  I will add the organization selling the lock was very helpful in contacting ASSA to obtain the two extra keys.  I was very pleased with the customer service!!

Buzzy

Thanks for the recommendation for the lock Buzzy.

I'm curious to know what other folks recommend out there?

Any other recommendations to review or to avoid?

thanks in advance.

Happiness is seeing Atlanta in your rearview mirror. :-)

I use this:

jgiuj54707v49mjzlhis1wrau7rwg4rq.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HL2NM0K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this:

lb4dvgl3ette7yifk4zztrhjul0tigxu.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UMBM28/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've read most folks say that hitch locks are a deterrent.  My storage area has two security gates and cameras at each gate and throughout the storage area.  If our Ollie gets stolen after all that then I'll call Anita and get started on a 2017 model. ?  Insurance is a good thing.

• Thanks 1

Mike and Carol Thompson | Fair Oaks Ranch, TX

The Lone Star Oliver #135 | 2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4X4 5.7L Hemi

ALAZARCACOFLGAILKSKYLAMDMSMONVNMNYNCOHOKSCTNTXUTVAWVsm.jpg

There is a lot of pain and anguish associated with theft of your portable home ... especially if you are in the middle of a vacation when it happens! I think that a theft tracking device is well worth considering. A $700 LoJack system has about a 90% recovery rate in the first day, but does not work in many areas away from big cities. It relies on an urban police force using the equipment installed in their cruisers. There are no monthly fees.

A gps tracker can work well but might be easy to find since it needs a fairly clear view of the sky. One with an external roof antenna could be very well hidden.

Can anyone comment if a SPOT will work through all the layers of fiberglass and insulation of an Oliver? I routinely use mine in tracking mode, all day long, on all trips away from good cell coverage. It works OK through the roof of my pickup while sitting in the center console, though sitting on the top of the dash is better, I just don't know if it would work inside an Ollie... The latest Gen 3 version has an external power cord so you can leave it plugged in to a 12v to USB adapter indefinitely, but the four AAA lithium batteries will last a month.

Maybe tucking a SPOT behind something unattractive to a thief, like a stack of towels in an overhead compartment, would be a good hiding spot (pun intended).

I have attached a couple of screen captures from my personal SPOT webpage. These are tracking points sent at ten minute intervals of my daughter's position yesterday. She is off in the remote mountains of NE Washington riding horses with friends. I can see her movements even under light tree cover, and the second pic shows the gps information for each track point. It is super easy to keep track of her movements where there is no phone service, and she can use the device to quickly call for help if a horse or rider breaks a leg, or worse.

I think a SPOT might be a great solution for Oliver owners IF it will transmit through the roof structure.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

I use the same lock that Buzzy has. It has been great and is very secure. The one fly in the ointment is that it doesn't secure the safety chains. I have read of thieves hooking up the chains to their rig and driving off without actually hitching up the trailer. So a good lock to secure the chains might be worth looking into. I see Oliver is now using cables instead of chain but they could be secured in a similar fashion with a good padlock. I also replaced the hitch clip with this stainless steel hitch lock:

https://www.etrailer.com/Locks/DeadBolt/RC2SS.html

I got it keyed the same as the receiver lock that secures the ball mount to the hitch on my TV so I don't have a wad of keys to deal with.

This is another hitch lock that actually secures the safety chains as well as the hitch, I found out about it from someone who came to look at my trailer. Might be worth a look:

That DaBull lock is pretty awesome though.

As far as the GPS options, I'm just not there yet. But these could be a great option for some. If I can thwart the theft from the start, that would always be preferable.

Dave

• Thanks 1

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

I know of two long time Oliver owners that use the Spot to track their locations while traveling.  One I know is tucked up in the back of the back overhead storage and it works fine (he has had it for a number of years).  I plan on getting one real soon.  I had an extra outlet put in for that purpose.  The Spot Trace is 50% off right now - normally $99.  The monthly subscription is $10/month.  Not bad.  Mike

I know of two ong time Oliver owners that use the Spot to track their locations while traveling. One I know is tucked up in the back of the back overhead storage and it works fine (he has had it for a number of years). I plan on getting one real soon. I had an extra outlet put in for that purpose. The Spot Trace is 50% off right now – normally $99. The monthly subscription is $10/month. Not bad. Mike

Wow, that is great news. I have been a satisfied SPOT user since the device came on the market about seven years ago. It has limitations (it has to "see" the sky, so it canNOT transmit through a steel barn roof) but the tracking feature ought to get the cops at lease fairly close to that barn. It's a lot harder to hide a trailer than a Honda...

This might be informative: ... http://www.findmespot.com/downloads/SPOT_TRACE_User_Guide.pdf

I use the regular personal device but the way it works is identical to the Trace, other than mine having extra buttons for sending for tow truck or for search and rescue. I'm not sure I would put it with the video electronics in the rear compartment though. That space is sure to be investigated by a crook.

Cool.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Spot is great. We use it to see where a couple friends are. I can see their campsites, rest stops. it's simply awesome.

As far as antitheft, we use a collar device like mike and carol. We add it on after we hook up, release when we level, add it on again.

Sure, anyone can tow you with chains. How long will that be undiscovered on the interstate?

Really?

Truly, most trailers get stolen in storage, not from campsites. At campsites (most), you have neighbors, or you're there already.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Truly, most trailers get stolen in storage, not from campsites. At campsites (most), you have neighbors, or you’re there already. Sherry

The thing that bothers me a lot about really primitive camping, say in a wide spot of an isolated NFS road, is that the rig is so darned vulnerable when you are away hiking to that pretty waterfall or overlook... I think a tracker, plus a minimum of one highly visible lock should be the bare minimum. A hitch lock, plus a steel cable from frame to a stout tree, plus a SPOT: that would greatly ease my mind, while telling a thief that he should go down the road a ways to look for an easier target.

This is a very strong and versatile 3/8 inch steel cable lock. You can buy additional cables in various lengths. I use them often when camping, mainly to secure bikes and other gear.  I like that you can thread it through multiple items and remove all the slack so it isn't lying on the ground where it would be easier to cut.

https://smile.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Python-Adjustable-8413-12/dp/B001R5VVTQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1467649571&sr=8-9&keywords=Master+Python+cable+lock

That reminds me, are the Ollie outside locks high security or regular one-key-fits-all RV junk? I suspect the former. Does the entry door have a deadbolt too? Would Oliver add one for me?

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John, the key to the "basement" and the battery compartment looks like a fairly generic key.  The key to the door on the other hand, which also has a deadbolt, is a normal key.  Mike

The thing that bothers me a lot about really primitive camping, say in a wide spot of an isolated NFS road, is that the rig is so darned vulnerable when you are away hiking to that pretty waterfall or overlook… I think a tracker, plus a minimum of one highly visible lock should be the bare minimum ... Thanks. John Davies Spokane WA

Over on the FGRV forum this has been hashed around several times over the years.  This is a copy of a post I made there a little over a year ago.

GPS Trailer Tracking

There have been multiple threads on this forum concerning trailer security. Everyone has their own opinion and method and I agree that, depending on your personal beliefs, they could include simple diligence, locks, fences, chains, whips, guard dogs, guns, cameras, claymore mines, trunk monkeys and a moat. Those folks that are UN-inclined to subscribe to any of the aforementioned tactics seem to just rely on good insurance. I employ some of these methods myself but if my trailer suddenly sprouts legs and walks off, I want to be able to find it and perhaps use some of the other methods on those folks that helped it along. I started investigating electronic counter measure devices to do just that. I looked at the SPOT Satellite Messenger. I didn’t find the initial cost of about $150.00 too bad. It uses your GPS location and sends it and pre-selected message to communication satellites which route your location and message to the appropriate network to get you help. It is obviously designed for and intended to be used by a person while traveling in remote regions and it does have good coverage. The best service plan will cost about $200.00 per year. For those folks that may only travel a few weeks of the year, that might be beyond what they are comfortable spending. I continued to look. There are several out there but none seemed to do what I wanted or they cost more than I wanted to pay.

I finally found what I thought would do everything I wanted at a reasonable price and I installed it in the Outlaw Oliver. I have it set up so that:

When the trailer is unattended and sitting still (either here at home or anywhere else) and moves over 300 feet, it will send a text message to my iphone that includes a hyperlink to a Google Map page with an icon on it indicating where the trailer is. It will continue to send these until I tell it to stop.

If the door is opened it will set off a local alarm and send a text message stating that the door has been breached and includes the same hyperlink.

I can call it with my iphone and it will send the hyperlink.

If the main power source is removed (trailer batteries) it will send the hyperlink. There are internal lithium batteries that power it if the external power fails and it will alert you if these become low.

I can text it and tell it to switch between tracking and monitoring. In Monitor mode I can listen in on anything going on inside the trailer via a hidden microphone.

I can authorize up to five phones that can access it. Family can always tell where we are.

If we push the “panic” button it will send out a help message to all phones.

All programing is done via text messages and in addition you can arm/disarm it with an included key fob remote.

There are dozens of other functions that it will perform. You can set up multiple virtual GEO fences that will alert if the trailer is moved into or out of. You can have it text you if it is going over a MPH that you have pre-set as maximum. It has an internal SD slot that will log all this data. The list goes on and on.

This piece of equipment is (I’m sure) made in China, as its manual is printed in Chinglish and thus has somewhat of a steep learning curve but it cost me less than $50.00 including the SIM card with 200 prepaid text messages. There are no monthly fees. When you’ve used your allotted text messages, you just reload it with another $10 worth. It operates in conjunction with the GPS and Cell phone systems. And it works just like it said it would.

These photos are of the aluminum mast and mount that I designed and made for my remote control GoLight and the two antennas for the tracker.

DSC_0922.thumb.jpg.f772f08a0d3409090e6c21d302042d13.jpgDSC_0050.thumb.jpg.9fe0987dc5164b210a7eeb9cc2291a6d.jpg

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher, Lucy and Rocky plus our beloved Storm and Maggie (both waiting at the Rainbow Bridge) 2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0026 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0050 2017 Silverado High Country 2500HD Diesel 4x4 

States Visited Map     Map of Provinces I Visited

Guest Guest

How come nobody is talking about "boot" type locks which disable a wheel, thus requring that a theif have a flat bed to drag the trailer onto--assuming that wouldn't totally ruin the immobilized wheel.  Suppose you could jack up the trailer, place a dolly under this wheel, and then drag up onto the flat bed.   Possible I am sure,  but what are the chances?  That is what insurance is for imo.

Buzzy,

I've read so many of your posts and seen all your videos and want to say how much I appreciate what you're doing.  That said, this picture of the hitch is the first one I've seen (at least that I can recall :)) which showed how the hitch was attached to the trailer.   It appears the hitch is attached with a couple of bolts is that accurate?  Are there any welds that hold the bull dog hitch to the trailer as well?  We'll not be picking up our Oliver until September 19th, and I'm afraid I might be overusing my access to Heather with all the questions I keep sending her way.

Thank you,

John

John Marilyn and Gracie

2017 Legacy Elite II Hull 172

TV 2017 F250 Diesel 

Guest Guest

Hi John,

Thank you for your kind words regarding my posting and videos.  I remember back when I began thinking about purchasing an Oliver Travel Trailer.  I wanted to learn as much as possible so I could make informed decision on options.  Living 1600 miles from the factory made a visit not feasible with my schedule.  Using the internet was my best method for gathering information.  My postings and videos are crafted for the potential owner like yourself who needs information.

I look forward to your becoming an Ollie owner and perhaps our journeys will cross at an Oliver Rally!

Regarding your questions on how the bull dog hitch is attached, not sure.  I should be able to take a closer look sometime tomorrow and will post what I discover.

Buzzy