Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

"Howdy, Howdy", he said.

Guest Guest

I've been doing my due diligence, lurking here and there, learning what I could about Oliver TT's, before making a choice between AS and Oliver. One big difference between this forum and Airforums: I noticed that I haven't seen any threads about quality problems in brand new Ollies... There is only the one snag: getting my girlfriend up to speed on traveling around the country in what seems to her to be a "very small" trailer. I am hoping to get her hiking the AT for several days in a row, living out of our backpacks, after which the Oliver Legacy Elite II will be recognized as the palace it is, in actual fact. I recognize that she is more of an Airstream Classic kind of girl. Eventually, we may live in one of those behemoths with our wilderness boondocking days behind us, and only moving every six months to another full service campground. But for now, there is just the one question: Is she going to recognize that an Oliver is the correct choice before, or after I place my order? She's got to come around to my way of thinking eventually, right? It's just that we haven't had a chance to see one in person, yet. Heck, a week ago I had never heard of Oliver. However, she and I have only been dating for 5 months, but I knew we were a match after only a week, maybe less. It's been the same, for me, looking at the Ollie Elite II. I think my search is over, unless I'm wrong. And if I'm wrong about the girl OR the trailer, which one? And what to do? I think I know: She is going to have to "get her mind right." But I've been wrong before. Any advice is welcome.

If she comes with a good tow vehicle, then keep her :)

And welcome DeadGrandpa

You made the right choice :)

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

You have brought up a lot to think about and decide on.  "She's an Airstream kind of girl"  So, she likes traveling and living a simpler life.  Cool.  Airstreams are pretty.  She may like the fancy interior, but not realize how impractical they are. You may have to be careful with the break-in period if she doesn't have much experience with living in a small space and managing the resources.   Since she has to come around to your way of thinking, I think you are in trouble, and especially since you only just discovered Ollies yourself.  If you order one before she can participate in the decision, you are definitely setting yourself up.  But, on the other hand, you can travel around in your new Ollie, by yourself,  and look for another pal.  Maybe it all boils down to this:  Is she willing to follow you anywhere and do what ever you want, or is she an equal partner and contributor to a mutually wonderful life?  Only you know what you want.  And maybe she is simply the one to hang out with until you decide.  Or maybe you are the one she hangs out with until she decides!  Especially, as Reed wondered, if she has a tow vehicle.  Ha!!!!   Some of my best memories have been with beautiful women that went on adventures to far away places without having to decide in advance what the future held.   I think you can follow your dreams without filling in all the details.  Go for it!  And welcome to the conversation!

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Hi DeadGrandpa,

Welcome to our forum!  You did not mention if owning a travel trailer will be a new experience for you or your girlfriend.  Also, if you or your girlfriend have any towing experience.  How you answer those questions will impact your decision making.

Viewing an Ollie inside and out is a critical step in your journey.  You will need to have a very good sense of the interior space and how the two of you feel in that space.  If you choose the twin bed layout, how do you each feel about separate beds?  Are the beds wide enough and long enough?  Sit at the dinette.  Can you both envision eating a meal in that space?  Get a feel for the wet bath.  Could you see yourself taking a shower in that space?  If you both enjoy meal preparation, could you work in that space together?

For me, relationships in life help define my happiness much more than possessions.  I would like to believe, you will both be happy in an Ollie, but I understand one member of a couple might be happier than the other.

Recently I had a couple tour my Ollie.  The guy had fallen head-over-heals in love with an Elite II prior to seeing one in person.  His girlfriend loved him, but was unsure about an Ollie.  I encouraged the couple to view ten videos I prepared and posted on my profile.  They are videos within the “Living with Ollie” series.  I asked that they view them at home and talk with each other about their honest reactions.  From their discussions, I asked them to prepare a list of questions for me when they arrive for the tour.

On the day of the tour the process went very well.  They had done their “homework”!   Their interaction during the tour was stunning!  They valued each other and could arrive at a mutually beneficial decision.

DeadGrandpa, I understand your passion for owning an Ollie.  As a happy Ollie owner, I would like to believe you and your girlfriend will be happy Ollie owners as well.  To arrive at that point may require a carefully constructed plan.  Joining our forum and initiating this thread are important first steps on your journey, please continue to post your ideas so we can help you.

Buzzy

• Thanks 2

Buzzy

2016 Oliver Elite II - June 9, 2016
2016 F150 Lariat 3.5L EB, Max Towing

Guest Guest

As others have said, it is important to spend some time in the space you are considering.  Go to the website and find out where the closest Oliver is to you and then THE BOTH of you should visit.  Beyond that, the Oliver dosen't dent, and it is far more robust in sub  freezing weather if that is a consideration.  You could also look at Escape Trailers if you don't want winter capability and want to save $20,000.  Quality is not quite up to Oliver standards but still way above average.

Howdy  DeadGrandpa,

We saw an Ollie for the first time during a camping trip, after seeing it inside and out, we wanted one. Oliver was not building campers during 2010, so we waited until last year finding a fair deal on a used Ollie.  We owned our Ollie for a year and have no regrets about the purchase.

We had some minor work to be done to the Ollie after purchasing it, Oliver took care of the work for free even though we were not the original owners and the Ollie was out of warranty. One of the techs told me when we bought an Oliver we became part of the Oliver family.

The Ollie is easy to tow and easy to maintain.  During a camping trip last week, happened to park on the level part of a site, did not need to put the stabilizers down or disconnect the tow vehicle, so we would have a quick departure in the morning. When we do put the stabilizers down and disconnecting from the tow vehicle, it's easy to set up/knock down, too.

While camping many folks want to take a closer look at the Ollie! You will find a fine information resource here from owners and Oliver staff, too.

Best Regards,

Bill

LE2 Tundra

Howdy howdy DeadGrandpa, welcome to the group.  We also vacillated between an Airstream and an Oliver.  I actually first learned of Olivers over on Airforums.  We liked the AS bling and space.  I was put off with all the QC issues and maintenance problems.  Once we started looking at Oliver it was game over.  The space is smaller in an Oliver but we actually like it - a lot!  I agree that it would be good to see one up close.  Most owners will go out of their way to show, so don't hesitate to ask.  Mike

Mike and Carol Thompson | Fair Oaks Ranch, TX

The Lone Star Oliver #135 | 2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4X4 5.7L Hemi

ALAZARCACOFLGAILKSKYLAMDMSMONVNMNYNCOHOKSCTNTXUTVAWVsm.jpg

Welcome DeadGrandpa,

We too were considering an Airstream or a larger trailer before ordering our Oliver. I wanted a larger trailer and my husband was going to buy what ever I wanted because he wanted me to go and be happy.  I thought the Oliver was just not big enough for all the stuff we were accustomed to taking on our trips.  After all, we camp for months at a time with 2 dogs! My husband liked the idea of boondocking without carrying a generator and really liked the Oliver though we had never seen one.  I thought my husband would always regret not getting an Ollie if we didn't give it a look, so I suggested we tour the factory before making a decision.  I was secretly sure he would then see for himself that it was just too small.  That did not happen.  Instead I was so impressed with the Oliver and how well it is built and thought out that I changed my mind! In my opinion,there is just not any camper,including Airsteam, that remotely  comes close to the Oliver in quality! We pick up our new baby next week????.

My advice to you is to tour the factory! Go to the rally if you possibly can.  Maybe your girlfriend will see the light like I did.  But you should keep in mind that living in a small space with another person for a prolonged period of time is not for everyone.  We have been married for 30 years and started in a tent before moving to a Casita and then a Bigfoot. We still tent camp at least a couple weeks a year.  But most of our very happily married friends would never do it with anything smaller than a 30 footer with slides ????... Only you can decide what is right for you.

Yvonne

• Thanks 1

Yvonne & Doug

2017 Legacy Elite II, twin bed

Hull #223

2017 Ford F-250 Lariat, crew cab

DeadGrandpa,

As a follow-up, I discovered Olivers by accident about 5 years ago at a local fair.  A woman had one there and brought it to spend the day in while her husband looked at the hot rods and stuff.  There it was all shiny and clean.  Air conditioning on.  And so cute.  Not her, the Ollie!

Meanwhile I wanted another trailer, but not right away.  We bought a toy hauler and that was a mistake.  I was looking casually at Airstreams.  Then I got serious and discovered that Oliver was now making a larger one, the Elite ll.  Uh, oh.  But still I wasn't in a hurry and began comparing them to Airstreams.

The main differences that sealed the deal were:  The eight foot width of the AS matched the width of my toy hauler and I didn't like towing it.  It was always straying out of the lane on turns and the visibility was terrible.  The AS had one small Group 24 battery for the house battery and the Ollie could be had with four large batteries that are placed over the axles instead of on the tongue.  There was only a small drawer in the galley for a pantry in the AS and the Ollie has a large cabinet.

The quality of the build, the insulation and practical features that make a trip nice, not just for show, are really nice with the Ollie.  One down side for me was having to go to Tennessee from Nevada to get it.  And the cost was high, even though not as high as the AS.

I wanted to see an Elite ll and then one popped up for sale that was easy to go see.  That did it.  I was not going to let it get away and I bought it.  It was the same as new.  They had carefully brought it home and decided they wanted a motor home, so they sold it.  Further, it was equipped almost exactly as I would have done myself.  And finally, it was thousands cheaper as the price had just gone up and I didn't have to factor in going to get it.  I had imagined getting the big bed, but mine has the twin beds and it is way better than I expected.  More walking space, a dresser and one bed can be left untouched if I want.  Convenient for guests too.  Mine doesn't have the solar package and I'm glad.  I plan to have a portable collector I can set out at the site, but don't want the additional stuff on the roof that needs cleaning and that I would have to park in the sun to make work.  My next project will probably be to install an inverter and I have one sitting on my bench waiting.  Mine doesn't have the faux granite counter tops either, and again, I'm glad.  I'm just finishing the installation of a stainless steel counter top in the galley that I think will be the best counter top I can have.  Pictures in a couple of days.  While I had the galley torn apart I was impressed, again, with the quality. Extremely nice fiberglass work is everywhere.  Other features, like marine grade stainless steel hardware and high quality faucets are way above the grade I've seen in other trailers.  Even the tires are on aluminum wheels and are light truck tires instead of the typical maypop trailer tires.

Right away I noticed how easy it is to tow and I get a lot better fuel mileage than with the toy hauler.  It tracks where the truck tires go and I just forget it's back there.  It's not drafty like a couple of my stickies and I never worry about leaks in the rain.  The ground clearance is good with no pipes hanging down and since it has tandem axles and is relatively short, it is excellent on back roads.  I've walked it carefully along rutted trails about as steep as my full sized Ram likes to go, with no problems.

It's a keeper.  Not just a trailer I'll just have for a few years until it begins to fall apart.  Good luck in your search!

John

Guest Guest

These are all good points, and I will address all the points raised together.

First, I have a tow vehicle, a 2011 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L, 4x4, Crewmax cab.  It is perhaps not an ideal tow vehicle, but adequate.  For any trailer larger than the Elite II, I would have to upgrade, probably to a 2500 or 3500 diesel something.  But that would be, you know, more money.

Neither of us has lived or camped in a trailer.  I have lived on a sailboat for months, and lived out of a backpack for weeks while hiking and bicycling.  I am fine in small spaces.  She has downsized from a 2500 sq. ft house to a 1500 sq. ft house, and feels that was a huge adjustment.  It appears we will be maintaining a "home base" while we travel.  Raspy, I actually said she was an "Airstream CLASSIC kind of girl", meaning she likes the fancy and more roomy interior.    She wants to travel and see the Great Outdoors (as I do), but in some level of comfort which is a compromise between self-supported bicycle touring with tent camping, and driving from motel to motel in a touring coach.  Twin beds are out of the question, and it remains to be seen whether making and taking down the King size bed every day can be a workable lifestyle task.  A wet bath sounds less than optimum, but I see that wiping down the shower walls with a towel will be one of my new daily duties.

I agree that ordering an Oliver without getting her input on at least the color scheme would be a fatal mistake.

She has no experience towing, but I have towed a 28 ft. livestock trailer short distances on many occasions.  As yet, I have not let her drive my truck.  So far, she prefers this division of labor.

We both enjoy bicycling very much, and will be bringing our bicycle(s) in the bed of the TV, using a pickup bed cap for security and storage of extra gear.  We are both outdoor activity oriented.

The biggest factor against the Oliver, in her mind, is the wet bath.  Having to wipe it down after every shower seems to outweigh any other positive Ollie attribute.  HELP!!!

Having to wipe it down after every shower seems to outweigh any other positive Ollie attribute. HELP!!!

Two ideas to consider.

1.  In many state parks you have access to pubic showers.

2.  An Ollie has an exterior shower.  With a proper extension hose, and a remote camping location, you can shower together outside. :)

Buzzy

Buzzy

2016 Oliver Elite II - June 9, 2016
2016 F150 Lariat 3.5L EB, Max Towing

"The biggest factor against the Oliver, in her mind, is the wet bath. Having to wipe it down after every shower seems to outweigh any other positive Ollie attribute. HELP!!!"

You can get a shower curtain track or rod installed as an option. Then the important throne will stay dry.

Yvonne

Yvonne & Doug

2017 Legacy Elite II, twin bed

Hull #223

2017 Ford F-250 Lariat, crew cab

I do not use a shower curtain. The splash factor in the shower is minimized by always using the shower head off the wall bracket.  I hold it and always direct the spray towards the wall that is opposite the throne.  Only a very small amount of water ever gets on the throne side of the space.  Using a microfiber towel, the wipe down is swift and takes less than a minute.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

spacer.png

Deadgrandpa,

I agree with using the house as a home base to travel from.  Exactly my intention when I decided to build it.

I lived on my boat for about 20 years and spent the last ten building our home in Nevada.  It's really nice to have the house and be able to leave on extended trips too.  As fun as it is to go, it's always nice to come home and spread out.  Plus, I've always got a project going that I can only do at home.  And I'm still working, at least for a short time.

The trailer is a nice transition from boats.

• Thanks 1

John

We don't have a shower curtain either.  It's no big deal, really.  We squeegee and wipe down after showers so the bathroom is usually the cleanest place in the trailer.  The wet bath seemed to be the main obstacle in our decision process but now that we've had it a while it's not a concern.  Mike

Mike and Carol Thompson | Fair Oaks Ranch, TX

The Lone Star Oliver #135 | 2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4X4 5.7L Hemi

ALAZARCACOFLGAILKSKYLAMDMSMONVNMNYNCOHOKSCTNTXUTVAWVsm.jpg

I agree with Mike and Carol.  I too thought that the wet bath would possibly be a deal breaker.  However, with the exception of a small privacy curtain over the bath window, I do not have a shower curtain either.  As has been said - it takes just right at one minute to squeegee the wet bath dry and then it is virtually clean.  Its really no big deal and the space saved is put to better uses anyway.  Unfortunately, it is rather difficult to "try" the bath prior to purchase.  Good luck and be sure to report back once you have had a chance to see one in person.

As you may know, you do not have to "make the king bed" every day.  You can simply leave it as a bed and there is the dinette to sit and eat at during the day.  The only time you really have to change from the bed is if you are having more than two people "in" to eat, play cards, etc.

Bill

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

As it turns out, quite a number of Oliver owners are boat owners. We appreciate the easy care and longevity of fiberglass, and have long ago learned about living with wet baths. But, living in Florida, we have a lifer habit of wiping down home showers anyway. Not a big deal.

The other day, someone asked me to tell her why she could convince her husband to buy the Oliver she wants. I told her I can't do that. Everyone has to make their own decisions.

I encouraged her, however,  to drive down and see how gracefully an Oliver ages, as ours is 9+ years old....  And our well made sailboat is turning 40 this year. The boat completed a 600 mile blue water trip to celebrate its birthday in March. The Ollie... we believe our daughter will enjoy it long after we're gone, along with the boat.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

It isn't like you would each wipe the shower down. For us, this was all my doing and her begrudgingly coming along, therefore she showers first (gets all the hot water) and I shower second and wipe it down when done. Every time.

She had never had a problem and now looks forward to going.

Motel to motel? Ewwww...

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

I do not use a shower curtain. The splash factor in the shower is minimized by always using the shower head off the wall bracket. I hold it and always direct the spray towards the wall that is opposite the throne. Only a very small amount of water ever gets on the throne side of the space. Using a microfiber towel, the wipe down is swift and takes less than a minute.

+1 on what Pete does, the microfiber towel is over and done in less than a minute. I prefer the Wet Bath. Generally we just hit the chrome and the door, then the rest air dries while you're drying off.

I'm saying it once again, the Truma Endless Hot Water heater was the best option that we chose. We open the gray water valve and shower with the hot water on full blast until we're ready to get out. What makes this the best of the best is also the Valterra adjustable regulator. I set it at 55lbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-1117VP-Lead-Free-Adjustable-Regulator/dp/B003YJLAIK/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492923793&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Valtura+rv+adjustable+regulatyor

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

I have owned a 2006 Airstream Safari and currently a 2014 25 foot Airstream International.  Both are used for Off the Grid Boondocking.  They are both very reliable and comfortable... after the initial break in.  Oliver Elite II is a trailer that may be very competitive as far as price and the technology within the travel trailer market.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Why are you looking at a travel trailer, should be your first question.  The Oliver has the potential to be an option to Airstreams of similar length.  I have yet to see an Oliver in person and reserve my comments as to reliability and practical comparisons TO an Airstream trailer, being in production for decades, but yet to be perfected for any one particular use.

Follow the Threads on the Airstream Forum.  Get the feedback of current owners.

Follow the Threads on the Oliver Forum.  Get the feedback of current owners.

For nearly half the cost, the Oliver may be the compromise that will please you. Consider what you have as a tow vehicle and which trailer is easier to tow, without exceeding minimum needs.  If you find that an Oliver fits your needs, your tow vehicle's capability to tow... maybe you need a good dog to travel with, if your girlfriend does not consider an Oliver.

Had an Oliver and I crossed paths... there may have been a totally different trailer in our lives! Time will tell.

I did the analysis with airstream before I purchased my Oliver. For me, the Oliver was a clear choice, and not a compromise given the build quality and the ease of maintenance, especially long term.

GrayGhost

2015 Legacy Elite II Hull # 98

2016 Dodge Ram Laramie EcoDiesel

Guest Guest
I did the analysis with airstream before I purchased my Oliver. For me, the Oliver was a clear choice, and not a compromise given the build quality and the ease of maintenance, especially long term.

I just got home from the Oliver Rally. I really knew before I saw one in person that Oliver offers more quality, features and functionality than Airstream. I love the elegant simplicity of the design and build. It is very impressive. In conversations with Oliver staff and owners, I found a pervasive and strong effort to continually improve quality in every area. Customer satisfaction is huge to them, since word of mouth and owners showing their trailers to prospective buyers is a large part of the business model.

We were at a Casita rally with our 2011 Casita Spirit Deluxe recently when we were able to have a very close look at two Legacy Elite II's (day and night). We have always liked our Casita but, wanted to step up to something a little larger with more amenities. The Oliver is well built, having top shelf products into them along with great hardware. We were contemplating modifying our Casita from double bed to singles but, I soon discovered I didn't have time or the energy to make that happen (although many Casita owners have made that mod).

Needless to say, we were instantly sold and checked on financing, etc. that very next day after returning from the rally. (I had also done a lot of researching and studying of the Oliver once we had a look.) That same week upon return, we ordered our Legacy Elite II. The staff (Anita) were exceptionally helpful and we are expecting delivery of our "Yacht Olivia" at the end of June. The Oliver folks appear to be extremely knowledgeable of their products. Also, the two owners that were gracious enough to allow us to have a very close look were extremely pleased and by their feedback, the Oliver folks also listen to their customers.  We didn't have to add very many extras as the Oliver already comes with many of those great things.

Good luck with your choices.

• Thanks 2

Cash - AKA Sitting Bull

http://www.shot-in-texas.com