Sign in to follow this  
Fisher2

Generators

Will that jump pack act as a 3000 watt inverter?

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher, Lucy and Rocky plus our beloved Storm and Maggie (both waiting at the Rainbow Bridge) 2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0026 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0050 2017 Silverado High Country 2500HD Diesel 4x4 

States Visited Map     Map of Provinces I Visited

Will that jump pack act as a 3000 watt inverter?

Not sure to whom this question is addressed, but after posting above, I did some more online research to discover that my current (accidental pun) portable inverter puts out only 400 watts. Like I said, I have little knowledge of electrical components. That is why I asked for input from those with more knowledge and experience.

I did find this article about installing an inverter that seems to accord with Raspy's idea:

https://www.familyhandyman.com/automotive/how-to-turn-your-truck-into-a-generator/view-all

If I were to go this route, I would hire a qualified expert to do the work. The author of this article mentions making 1,800 watts available. I don't know if that would be sufficient, but paying more for a higher-wattage inverter and paying for a qualified expert to do the work might still, in the end, be more cost-effective and pay off with the other benefits that Raspy mentions.

What other things might folks who may be thinking of using their tow vehicle as a generator need to consider?

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

I wouldn’t worry too much about the drone of a generator. With the AC on you could have a diesel locomotive idling next to you and you wouldn’t hear it.

• Thanks 3

Snowball • LE2 256 • 2018 Ford Raptor