Sign in to follow this  
AW1985

Delivery In Two Weeks!

Guys, I didn’t think it was going to be an issue, but my mind has me fretting the weight distribution hitch. We originally planned to pull our Oliver with the wife’s Tundra, but our priorities changed and we got the F250. We ordered the optional Anderson. Will it adjust for height on my F250? This morning I was digging out my box trailer to help a buddy move and realized I needed a drop hitch to keep the trailer level. MAN these new Super Duties are tall. Before I rush order a drop hitch to Alaska, can someone please help me confirm if I need it or not with the Anderson Weight Distribution hitch? My understanding is the the hitch plugs right into the receiver of the truck, in which case I’m thinking I’m going to need something to relocate or drop that receiver.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Alex, first of all, the Anderson hitch is available in a number of different configurations. So your tall receiver is a non issue. You might or might not need it for the Tundra.... you should try without first....

https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/weight-distribution-kits.aspx

Second, you do not need ANY kind of equalizing hitch for your HD truck. Dead weight is fine. My Ram 3500 never noticed the weight. I used an extended reach conventional stinger with a 2 inch, 7500 pound long shank ball. I had to get that from Etrailer, it is intended to go through a double wall steel truck bumper.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Ball/Brophy/SC23-C.html

I bought eight Grade 8 (hard) flat 1 inch ID fender washers at Fastenal to use to fine tune the height by stacking them under the ball. They worked great. You may or may not need them, but it is good to have the ability to shift the height a little. Do not use soft washers here!

Plan on a tongue height of about 23.5 inches. Buy the correct drop bar to put the top of your ball about an inch higher, when your truck is fully loaded (wih full gear and CanAm). Close is good enough. Done.

Worst case scenario, you might want to switch to HD adjustable reaarshocks, if the factory ones seem overwhelmed. But I bet they will be fine, for a few years at least.

As far as your Rock Tamers go, if you have slop in your receiver, you will be unhappy to see them flopping around when you drive empty. A little play at the hitch translates to up to a couple of inches movement at the far end of the bars. It is not a problem while towing. You can buy TWO of these if it is a problem:

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-Rattle/Roadmaster/RM-061.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Mnkz6Cd2gIVyrfACh2a2QjSEAQYAyABEgIs8_D_BwE

One clamps the draw bar to the receiver. The other clamps hard up against the Rock Tamer bracket, strengthening that connection and taking the strain off the two pinch bolts.

I am in bed right now pecking away at my iPad. I will see if I can find a pic of my previous setup to share.

John Davies

Spokane WA

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

Oh yes, what is the payload of your truck, and the weight of the toy tray and the CanAm?

Subtract those fixed loads, and the rest is what your truck can deal with in terms of “stuff” and 700 pounds of draw bar, Rock Tamers and trailer tongue weight.

If you will be close to maxxed out, then perhaps a WD hitch will be needed.

Some of those HD Fords have massive payloads, do the math for us. My Ram was pretty lightly loaded compared to your rig.

John Davies

Spokane WA

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

John, no massive payload here.  It's 2700.  I'm actually within 300 pounds of maxing out my cargo capacity with the bed deck and the Can Am.  While I'm close to maxing out payload, I agree, I don't need the WDH.  I'm going with the adage that I have it, paid for it, might as well use it.  It's really for the wife's truck when we get back to Alaska.  She's a healthcare provider and travels to and from the remote Alaska villages several times a year, and prefers driving her Tundra over my rig--and I'm glad she does!

So the math:  *using round, CONSERVATIVE numbers for ease*

Trailer tongue weight (10% of loaded trailer weight):     600

Can Am & Bed Deck     1590

Wife and I:  310

Gear:  200

Total: 2700

I'm not anticipating the Oliver weighing all of the 6K, nor am I thinking the Can Am and deck weight the full 1590.  I won't know until we find a scale.  I'm from Kansas originally, and have some years pulling and hauling in the way of the farm.  I've definitely done worse, but am trying to do this the correct way and as safe as possible for myself and others that I share the road with.  I know the truck has the power, but also am aware I'm pushing payload.  I think the WDH is prudent, if not required.

Thoughts?

but am trying to do this the correct way and as safe as possible for myself and others that I share the road with. I know the truck has the power, but also am aware I’m pushing payload. I think the WDH is prudent, if not required.

Thoughts?

I think you may be underestimating your numbers slightly, my Outlander weighs over 900 lbs, those Mavericks are over 1300. The TruckBoss decks are really sweet, but it looks like you've got the 6.5' bed model, which weighs 450lbs.

The F250 has a maximum payload of 3450lbs before you drop the diesel in it and add the Lariat trim. Does your yellow door sticker really state you have over 3000lbs of payload left?

While you have the extra weight of that diesel on the front axle, I would, at a minimum, recommend the Andersen so that you can dial in as much balance in as possible. The FX4 package makes for a softer off road ride, but can be a hindrance when max towing.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

AW - I like the way you think.  Perhaps the WD hitch is not strictly required, but, I think that it helps balance the load and gives a bit more peace of mind.  A quick call to either Jason Essary or even the Sales office at Oliver should let you know if they have the necessary parts to get you to the correct height.  This would both ease your mind and make things easier for you being so close to the start of your trip.

Bill

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

IMHO a trip to a CAT scale is always a good idea.  You may be OK on GVWR with the Can Am and Ollie but you may exceed your rear axle GAWR without a weight distribution hitch.  Worth checking into, and you can check your pre-Ollie weight now to give you an idea.

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

Heck, if you guys run up thru Eastern Oregon, we're running an RV park just north of Huntington, OR... Karen wanted a job... Lol. Anyway, we're right off I84 at the Blue Bucket Mining Camp/ RV park South East of Baker, OR.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II