Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Help with CD/DVD player

Guest Guest

Our Oliver came equipped with Jensen AWM960 entertainment system. To be honest, I never tried the CD/DVD player until this past week. I bought a new DVD and tried to play it. Every time I put the DVD into the player, it said "Loading", then ejected the DVD. Finally I gave up and put "Stripper Pole Legends" away and tried to play a CD. According to the manual (yes I was that desperate), I should be able to put the CD in and it would play automatically. No luck. I've tried several good CD's and the same thing happens.

As usual, I'm hoping I am doing something dumb again, but afraid of otherwise.

Any tips will appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, we suscribe to NETFLIX and have recieved a couple of DVD's in the last year that acted just like you describe. Tried them in another DVD player with the same result. Sent them back and listed on line that they wouldn't play. They sent replacement DVD's that did play.

Their response was something about the "codec's" in the DVD. Said " it happens sometimes".

I thought, yeh, I seen them bumper stickers, STUFF HAPPENS. :o

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

Hi Tom, sorry to hear the DVD/CD player is not working. I looked thru the online help for the Jensen. I found one thing that might have somehow gotten set wrong somewhere along the line. Turn the system on, both the Jensen and tv. Using the remote, push the lower left button to enter the setup mode. Make sure the tv system is set to NTSC. It should have come set up like that, but perhaps it got moved. Other than that, it sounds like a bad player. I have taken mine out to access the inputs on the back. It's not an insurmountable task to change it out yourself if you need to.

I hope that you can get it to work...it really is a fine system.

Steve

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher, Lucy and Rocky plus our beloved Storm and Maggie (both waiting at the Rainbow Bridge) 2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0026 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0050 2017 Silverado High Country 2500HD Diesel 4x4 

States Visited Map     Map of Provinces I Visited

Guest Guest

Problem Solved:

First of all, thank you all for responding with your suggestions.

I did call Jake who put me on the horn with our man DUSTIN!. He immediately said something like "I'm on the way to chew somebody out for not removing the packing screw." He then told us how to find the packing screw which had a tag that said "Remove before installing or the CD unit will not function".

I'll report later about Legends.

Tom

Hope you don't mind a slightly off track question but does anyone find the backlit LCD screen annoying at night while sleeping? Is there any way to subdue it?

Turn off the rocker switch by the door, believe it is labeled 'stereo'.

chuck
8-)

Thanks Chuck! Perhaps I should have explained that my current trailer is a Bigfoot. It doesn't have a switch for the stereo. Same radio though. So, this switch on the Oliver shuts off all power to the radio but leaves power to the internal clock?

Guest Guest

Gang,

From this thread you see that we got the problem solved with Dustin's help.

So everything worked fine, really fine after that.

Of course, I'm here with a new problem. On our recent trip, we tried to play a DVD. Alas, the picture was so fuzzy we couldn't read the menus. We tried other DVDs that we knew were good to no good result. We tried as best we could to check all the connections, etc. By the way, the TV is really sharp when we watch TV. At Camping World a technician checked the wiring connections and concluded that the problem is with the DVD player itself. We've tried on on the cleaner products and this did not help.

I've tried finding help or a number to call at Jensen (asaelectronics.com), but I can't find anything there at all. If anyone has a suggestions or knows how to track down Jensen help or a phone number, I would appreciate it. I did locate a form to post a question; so maybe I'll get an answer that way.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

Try this link"

http://local.goshennews.com/A+S+A+Elect ... .home.html

We all love how quickly we can find info on the internet, but it's sometimes maddening when it's the only contact. I, for one, like to talk to a real "human being" once in awhile. (I could find nothing in our downloaded manual, nor in the Jensen stereo or Jensen marine electronics website for a phone number...) Amazing.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Guest Guest

Steve,

Yes, it plays audio cds great. The audio is fine with dvds as well. It plays the dvds, but the picture is very "fuzzy". In fact that occurs with the screen shown (Jensen logo, etc.) when the dvd is loading.

Thanks,

Tom

Guest Guest

Sherry,

Thanks for the link. I tried the number there, but I think its after hours and weekend. I'll try again Monday.

Tom

Tom

I should have tried the number before posting. oops. Hope it works, on Monday.

I had a really bad experience yesterday, just trying to follow up on something for my mother=in-law. No phone numbers, just email contact... That's great many times, but when you need an answer, a phone number is important, even if you have to sit on hold through twenty seven replays of "Moon River" by an anonymous elevator music band before you get to talk to a "human bean" .....

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Guest Guest

Well, the number I found on the site Sherry posted is no longer ASA Electronics - some security agency or something. When I tried to explain my DVD problem, the lady thought I was talking about BVDs and it was all down hill from there.

So I finally found the number we needed - you might want to file this one if you have the Jensen system :

877-845-8750 gets you to the technicians at ASA.

Anyway back to DVD problem. I bought a new cable from Walmart and we installed it. Karen and I think the situation is better now, but not exactly ok? Or is it? Our television is fine, very good picture from satellite. But if we try to play a dvd, we have a shadow, most noticible if there is small print like with menu options, etc. We don't think it has always been that way, but we're not sure. We can see this to some extent when we first put a DVD in and the Jensen splash screen is up, say while DVD is loading. It is hard to read a page of print like the disclaimer pages or whatever.

Can any of you tell me if this is just the way it is, or do you have a very clear, readable screen? I think ours is clear enough now that we may be fine with watching movies, etc. I would appreciate any feedback (??) from any of you with the Jensen system.

Thanks,

Tom

We've mostly used the system to watch DVDs. Haven't noticed any degradation with kingdome (directv), but that's fairly recent for us, and infrequent.

It is possible that local signals are interfering with the antenna. Try disconnecting the feed from the antenna, and see if you get the signal you're used to.

Possibility. Not necessarily so. With dozens of tvs, and feeds, in the restaurant, we found we could gain interference from anywhere....

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Tom,

Glad to hear that getting a new video cable seems to have solved the problem, or at least some of it.

I haven't noticed any shadow problems when we play DVDs. You might try several DVDs to see if you still have the problem. I have noticed when playing some DVDs on our home player that the disclaimer and FBI warning pages sometimes are fuzzy; I think that this is something that is inherent to the way that they record those portions of the DVD. It wasn't quite clear to me from your post whether the shadow problem you are experiencing continues as you play the DVD--that is, during the movie itself.

We haven't watched very many DVDs on our system, but we have been pleased and haven't noticed any problems.

Steve

Has anyone had a problem with the TV not getting a signal from the DVD player. The last two times we have gone out we will be watching a movie and the TV goes blank except for the words, no signal on it. We still get the sound but no picture. After a few minutes of pushing various buttons and stomping around the trailer it comes back on (it'll also come back on if you do nothing). Very frustrating. Someone told me that they have had that happen twice in their trailers and taken them in and have had to have the DVD player replaced. They were told that the DVD players in trailers don't hold up because of the movement. I'm not buying that, we have less than 2,000 miles on our trailers because we camp very close to home. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Pam

Guest Guest

Pam,

This is not really a response to your question, but I just realized that I never reported the end of the long discussion about our problem. We finally determined that our problem was with the Television input. What a lot of gymnastics we went through to find that out! We just got a gizmo that let us use another input.

We have not had the kind of problem you described.

Tom

Pam,

We had a problem early on with dvd's not loading, and sometimes stalling. It turned out there was a packing screw/set screw left in the dvd player when it was intalled, that was supposed to have been removed upon installation and setup.

Do you have a Jensen?

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Our DVD worked fine until the last two trips, it loses it's signal then it comes back on, so I don't think it's a packing screw. I've tried going through the set up again but when I push the set up button on the remote it won't come up. Odd and frustrating. I just don't buy that the DVD players don't last very long in RV's and that I need to replace it already. If I Google Jensen there are techs who will work you through the problem for $29.00, thought I would try all the Oliver owners experience before I try them. I know when we first bought the Oliver the cable wasn't hooked up right and I finally figured that out. Starting to think it might be easier to just use my computer for movies or buy one of those portable DVD players.

Thanks for your responses and help.

Pam

Ours worked fine at first, too. It might be worth it to look up the online manual for installation (we had to download ours and print it), just in case. It took several trips for ours to cut out. I don't know why. Just a thought.

Sherry

PS I don't buy the "dvd players don't last in RV thing either.... Ours is now at over 45 K miles on many rough roads and doing well.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Thanks Sherry, I'm going to pull it out and take a look. Probably not right away....it's one of those projects I really need to be in the mood to do! Our water pump stopped on our last trip and I ignored it for the rest of the day and was getting ready to start taking everything apart to figure out what was wrong and it started working again. Can only hope the DVD is that easy!

Thanks, Pam

Pam,

What you describe--losing the signal, then it coming back on--sounds to me like a loose connection. Hopefully, it might simply be at one end of the line between the TV and the DVD player (rather than inside the player). I suppose that you have checked that, though. Just thought I would mention it.

Steve

Thanks for the post Steve. I did check the connections on each end because it seems like the logical thing that would be wrong but they were connected and not lose, although, I think I'll actually unplug those connections and then plug them back in. I think you are right, it seems like a loose connection.

Pam